Oklahoma Water Resources Board the Water Agency

Frequently Asked Questions

Floodplain Management

How can I find out if my property lies within a regulatory floodplain?

Flood insurance rate maps (FIRMs), published by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, indicate a community's flood hazard areas and degree of risk in those areas. Communities that participate in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) usually have FIRMs on file in a local repository, such as the local planning, zoning, or engineering office; town hall; or county government headquarters.

Additionally, portions of the FIRMs can be printed through the FEMA Map Service Center. Replacement FIRMs may be ordered via toll-free number, 1-877-336-2627. Due to liability concerns, OWRB employees are prohibited from making FIRM flood hazard determinations unless the determination is for state-owned or -operated property.

My property lies in a regulatory floodplain, but my community does not participate in the National Flood Insurance Program. Am I prohibited from purchasing flood insurance?

Currently, a NFIP policy is only available in participating communities. Flood insurance may be available through private insurers and underwriters. The rates and premiums are set by those companies and the underwriters, rated on the degree of risk involved. The OWRB does not have any jurisdiction over these providers and cannot recommend any providers.

My property doesn't lie in a regulatory floodplain. Am I still eligible for flood insurance?

Yes. You may purchase flood insurance from any licensed insurance agent, regardless of where you live in an NFIP member community. For information on policies or rates, please visit http://www.floodsmart.gov or consult a licensed insurance agent.

Do I need a permit from the OWRB if I want to build a house in a floodplain?

No. However, you may need a floodplain development permit from the local jurisdiction in which you live, such as a city, town, or county. Prior to construction or development of property, you should contact your local floodplain administrator. The OWRB does regulate development in floodplains of state-owned or state-operated property.

Floodplain Management

Top | Site Index | Help | Water Related Links | Accessibility | Disclaimer 

3800 North Classen Boulevard, Oklahoma City, OK 73118

Visit the Oklahoma State Portal

©1998-2017, OWRB
Last updated: January 19, 2016

This site has been redesigned using Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). If you are seeing this message you are using an older browser which lacks support for CSS. Please upgrade your browser to the latest version of Internet Explorer, Netscape or other CSS compatible browser to view this page properly.