Water for 2060 Produced Water Working Group
- Awarded!! - $150,000 Federal (matched with $150,000 Local Cost-Share - In Kind) PWWG's proposal to U.S. Bureau of Reclamation's Title XVI WaterSMART Grants to fund a deeper look at some of the Study's more promising findings. Work should begin in the coming months upon finalization of scope and contracting. Project Partners include: OWRB, GWPC, EDF, and BEG-UT.
- Next Meeting TBD
- STUDY FINALIZED - Download Full Report | Summary Handout
- March 10, 2017 Meeting: Agenda | Minutes | Presentation
- Preliminary Legislation related to the topic of produced water:
- SB 285 – (Schulz) Oklahoma Brine and Produced Water Development Act, and treats produced water as brine under the act. - Available for consideration and amendments during 2018 legislative session.
- SB 287 (Griffin) clarifying Clean Water Act jurisdiction of state agencies to handle permitting of PW discharges. - Signed by Governor
- SB 475 – (Schulz) Expands tax collections on skim oil to treat salt water from produced water the same. - Failed Deadline – April 27, 2017. Available for consideration and amendments during 2018 legislative session.
- SB 743 (Schulz) creates the Oil and Gas Produced Water Recycling and Reuse Act, requires OCC to identify produced water as hazardous waste and develop rules for recycling and reuse of such waste. - Available for consideration and amendments during 2018 legislative session.
The Water for 2060 Advisory Councilís recommendations for the energy and industry sector include promoting the industrial use of marginal quality waters, such as produced water, and increasing opportunities for energy and industry water users to share information and supplies. On Dec. 1, 2015, Governor Mary Fallin announced the formation of a fact-finding work group to look at ways that water produced in oil and natural gas operations may be recycled or reused instead of being injected into underground disposal wells.
The non-regulatory Water for 2060 Produced Water Working Group has been charged with identifying regulatory, technical, and economic barriers to produced water reuse as well as looking at opportunities and challenges associated with treating produced water for beneficial uses, such as industrial use, or crop irrigation.
Information and Resources